Welcome to the world of volunteering! Whether you are thinking about volunteering for the first time or have already volunteered, you are a valuable person in the ministry of Christ’s church.
What is a volunteer?
According to most dictionaries, a volunteer is “a person who offers one’s services or help without payment or reward.” This does not mean a volunteer does service which is not worth paying for or rewarding. It simply means a volunteer is willing to do worthy service without expecting a payment for it. As a Christian volunteer, you are challenged to “serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.” (Eph. 6: 7,8)
Who can be a volunteer?
Anyone can be a volunteer. We all have gifts and skills that can be used to edify others and build the kingdom of God. Scripture lists at least 19 different spiritual gifts given to believers: administration, communication, evangelism, helping/serving, knowledge, prophecy, wisdom, apostleship, discernment, faith, hospitality, leadership, shepherding, craftsmanship, encouragement, giving, intercession, mercy, healing, and teaching. What gift or gifts do you have?
I Peter 4:7-11 says, “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms….if anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.”
There are also many benefits to volunteering.
- Grow in your faith and relationship with God.
- An opportunity to challenge old attitudes and replace them with new attitudes, perceptions and relationships as part of an international opportunity.
- The opportunity to serve and be served by God’s children around the world.
- Add to your personal life tapestry as you learn more about poverty, justice, missions and development work
- Grow in your understanding of community development. Identify principles and tools that can be used at home and during a volunteer opportunity.
- Experience daily life in a different culture.
- Contribute your time and skills to meeting one of the Sustainable Development Goals. For more information, please visit www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment.
How do I volunteer?
- Complete and submit a volunteer application form and resume. Applications are available on our website at worldrenew.net/gvp on the right side bar.
- Once your application packet has been received by our office, an interview will be set up with one of the World Renew Global Volunteer Program staff that will help us to answer the who, what, where, when, and why questions.
- After our conversation, World Renew will contact the appropriate field staff to confirm that the opportunity is still open and introduce them to you.
- At that time, we will provide an opportunity for you to talk with our country staff. This time will allow you to ask detailed questions about the opportunity and learn more about what to expect.
- After you have accepted the volunteer position, we will begin putting together your support raising letter and your support team. You will receive a packet of information that will help you prepare for departure. The World Renew Global Volunteer Program staff will help you with all logistical arrangements.
- Attend orientation and prepare for departure!
About World Renew
World Renew, compelled by God’s deep passion for justice and mercy, joins communities around the world to renew hope, reconcile lives, and restore creation. During the last year, we partnered with more than 84 churches and organizations to work in 26 countries around the world, helping over 850,000 people overcome illiteracy, hunger, malnutrition, unemployment, HIV and AIDS, child mortality, and injustice. In addition, we helped over 750,000 people recover and rebuild their lives after disaster. For more information on our ministry, please visit worldrenew.net
About the Global Volunteer Program
The Global Volunteer Program's mission is to be Spirit-led yet fact-driven. We seek to help senders, participants, and host-receivers find mutuality, embrace ambiguity,and develop accountability. The Global Volunteer program works to meet World Renew's constituency engagement and transformation goals by developing meaningful and healthy partnerships with churches, communities and individuals, based on good development principles. For more information on our program, please visit worldrenew.net/gvp.
About the SWAP Program
World Renew has recently launched a new program called Serve With A Purpose (SWAP). SWAP is designed for youth and young adults who are motivated to engage with their local community, as well as prepare for a call to international service and outreach in the future. SWAP helps young people start early to prepare and fundraise for an experience in Christian community development in a developing country. SWAP is an excellent first step for students to impact their future and become well-prepared to pursue a life of service in broken and hurting communities around the world. For more details about serving with a purpose, please contact us today!